On May 24, 1938, after being petitioned by the Citizens of Phenix City and a public hearing being held on the same date, the Board of Commissioners of the City of Phenix City, Alabama, in a regular meeting declared the need for a Housing Authority. A resolution was passed creating The Housing Authority of the City of Phenix City, Alabama.
The organizational meeting of the newly created Housing Authority was held on June 2, 1938, in compliance with the Housing Authorities law of the State of Alabama.
Created to provide safe, decent and sanitary housing for low and medium income families in the community. The first application for housing brought 422 units to Phenix City, 216 Riverview Court and 206 for Frederick Douglass. In 1952, the Authority applied for and received an additional 250 units. 174 units were added to Riverview Court and 76 additional units were added to Frederick Douglass. Today, Riverview Court Apartments has 306 units and Frederick Douglass has 272.
In 1961, a new 200 unit project, spread over 38 acres, was opened in South Phenix City, known as Lucien P. Stough Homes. In 1964, with the need for elderly housing becoming more apparent, a 40 unit project of elderly housing known as H. L. Blake was opened. In September 1979, we contracted for an additional 28 units for our elderly project at H. L. Blake. In 2008, we converted Coweta Apartments into public housing units and renamed the complex to Whispering Pines.
Today, we have 925 public housing units in our 5 properties: Riverview Court Apartments, Frederick Douglass Homes, L. P. Stough Homes, H. L. Blake Homes, and Whispering Pines.
Enoch Mathews was our first Executive Director serving from 1938-1942; followed by Leo Denis from 1942-1966; followed by J. A. Maddox from 1966-1977; followed by Chuck Roberts from 1977-2004; followed by Judy Hare from 2004- 2013; followed by Mary Mayrose from 2013-2020. Dr. Jason Whitehead is PCHA’s current ED.